I've never listened to talk radio on Sunday because I'm usually not in the car for any length of time but today I had a little drive to make so I tune in to 105.5. And it comes in the middle of a segment of what sounds like a Bible teaching program. I'm intrigued and I caught enough of the beginning to understand what the host was saying. He was explaining a portion of scripture a caller had questioned him about. His answer made good Biblical sense and he seemed very knowledgeable in the Bible. But there was one part when he was talking about the Scripture where he uses the word "me" where I feel he should have said "Jesus". Maybe I misheard something. So it cuts to break, has a couple commercials and then comes back to the intro.
I'm listening the "The Jesus Christ Show" says the announcer. Okay. "Now back to your Holy Host." Holy Host? Okay, keep listening. I keep waiting for the host to say who he is but he hasn't. Then he takes a caller and she says "Hi, Jesus." At least that's what I think she says. Surely, I'm mistaken...
So I listen to her question. "My question for you today is about my timing versus your timing. I've asked you for several years now to find a husband. How much longer do I have to wait?"
So now I'm thinking Does this person really think they are talking to Jesus? She said I've asked you...Huh?
I'm really bothered by this point. But of course, I can't stop listening. I'll spare you the advice he gave her (though it was pretty good and spiritually sound...)
Next caller.
"Hi, Jesus."
That time I was POSITIVE that the caller said Jesus. And now I'm wondering if it is blasphemy to just be listening to this...
"Hi, Jesus. My ex-fiance is addicted to prescription pain meds and meth. Can you help her or does she have to ask for help from you herself."
At this point I want to scream at the radio "YOU'RE NOT REALLY TALKING TO JESUS!"
I'm at my destination so I have to turn it off. But the thought has resonated with me all day - do these people think Jesus is on the radio? He talked about his twitter page. I'm pretty sure Jesus doesn't twitter. Between the segments, he played a portion of a Beetles song. I don't think Jesus would play The Beetles. I could not call in to a radio show and say "Hi, Jesus" to the person that answers the phone - it's beyond conceivability to me that anyone could.
So I researched this "Jesus Christ Show" tonight. They have a website. And a frequently asked questions page that only has ONE FAQ on it:
Q: Does the “Holy Host” really think he is Jesus?
A: No, the show is interactive radio theater designed to teach people more about themselves and the historical person of Jesus Christ.
Okay, "interactive radio theater". That makes me feel a little better about it. I can almost buy in to that.
BUT
It's still unsettling. It's one thing to be a preacher and proclaim the Word of God and the teachings of Jesus - because you're not claiming to be God or Jesus. It's one thing to portray Jesus in a play because it's all stage and rehearsed. People aren't coming up to you after the production saying "Oh, Jesus, can you please help me with...."
It's another thing to get on the radio, pretend to be Jesus and have people call you for advice.
I'm still digesting the whole thing. It's left me with a weird feeling...
And if listening to the show hasn't made me feel weid enough - now I have this image in my head of what it would be like if Jesus really had his own talk show.
Picture the Tonight Show set, with Jesus sitting behind the desk in his robe and beard welcoming on stage his next guest... "The man who lived long enough to see it all...let's give it up for Methuselah!"
*cue entrance music* flashing above the studio audience.
"Methuselah, thanks for joining us on "The Jesus Christ Show..."
I need sleep...


No comments:
Post a Comment