This was what i looked like at 7:45 pm on Sunday, October 19, 2008
On Friday, October 17, 2008, I left work at noon. I worked 40 hours a week my entire pregnancy up until that week. I had only been working half days that week. I was pushing 200 pounds and wasn't sleeping at night so 4-5 hours at work was the best I could do...
I told my boss that she would not see me Monday because I was going to have a baby over the weekend. I don't think anyone believed me!
That weekend, I tried every old wives tale for going into labor that I could find as long as I felt like it was safe. I drank raspberry tea. I walked. I did squats and lunges. Finally, Sunday evening I told Jason to get in the car. I wanted Mexican food. So we went to our favorite Mexican place and I ordered everything my heart desired. And topped it with guacamole...
When we got home, I wanted Jason to take a picture. We hadn't taken a "belly pic" in weeks (I hadn't worn makeup in weeks...) So I knew we needed to get another one...I would regret it if we didn't.
By 10pm I felt funny. I figured it was the Mexican punishing me. I chewed a few Maalox and went to bed.
Around 4 o'clock I woke up. Which wasn't unusual. For the last few weeks I would get up in the middle of the night and move to the couch and sleep a couple hours and then wake up and go back to bed. I wasn't comfortable in any one place for very long (I mean, look at me. Would you be comfortable??) This particular time I had a hard time getting comfortable on the couch. I dozed off for a minute or two and then BAM! First contraction.
I looked at the clock. It was 4:15. Maybe it wasn't a contraction. Maybe the baby just shifted. I dozed back off. BAM! Second contraction. 4:40.
I had contractions every 20-30 minutes until 6:00am. That's when I woke Jason up and told him what had been going on. "Are you sure?" he asked. I wanted to hurt him. I would have hurt him if I wasn't gripping the edge of the kitchen counter as another contraction ripped through me. By 6:15 they were harder and every 10-15 minutes.
By 7:00am the car was packed and we were rolling. That's when I started calling people. I called Dad first. Dad, who for the last four weeks of my pregnancy when I called always answered the phone with "Are we having a baby?", this time merely said "Hello?" I was disappointed. I told him so. Then I called my boss and told her that I wouldn't be in that morning. She asked "Why?" Apparently everyone forgot I was pregnant...
My contractions were 5-7 minutes apart by the time we got to the hospital. It was quickly determined that I would have a baby that day. They admitted me, hooked me up to all the machines and shot me up with happy juice.
In less than 9 hours, my little miracle would be here...
I told my boss that she would not see me Monday because I was going to have a baby over the weekend. I don't think anyone believed me!
That weekend, I tried every old wives tale for going into labor that I could find as long as I felt like it was safe. I drank raspberry tea. I walked. I did squats and lunges. Finally, Sunday evening I told Jason to get in the car. I wanted Mexican food. So we went to our favorite Mexican place and I ordered everything my heart desired. And topped it with guacamole...
When we got home, I wanted Jason to take a picture. We hadn't taken a "belly pic" in weeks (I hadn't worn makeup in weeks...) So I knew we needed to get another one...I would regret it if we didn't.
By 10pm I felt funny. I figured it was the Mexican punishing me. I chewed a few Maalox and went to bed.
Around 4 o'clock I woke up. Which wasn't unusual. For the last few weeks I would get up in the middle of the night and move to the couch and sleep a couple hours and then wake up and go back to bed. I wasn't comfortable in any one place for very long (I mean, look at me. Would you be comfortable??) This particular time I had a hard time getting comfortable on the couch. I dozed off for a minute or two and then BAM! First contraction.
I looked at the clock. It was 4:15. Maybe it wasn't a contraction. Maybe the baby just shifted. I dozed back off. BAM! Second contraction. 4:40.
I had contractions every 20-30 minutes until 6:00am. That's when I woke Jason up and told him what had been going on. "Are you sure?" he asked. I wanted to hurt him. I would have hurt him if I wasn't gripping the edge of the kitchen counter as another contraction ripped through me. By 6:15 they were harder and every 10-15 minutes.
By 7:00am the car was packed and we were rolling. That's when I started calling people. I called Dad first. Dad, who for the last four weeks of my pregnancy when I called always answered the phone with "Are we having a baby?", this time merely said "Hello?" I was disappointed. I told him so. Then I called my boss and told her that I wouldn't be in that morning. She asked "Why?" Apparently everyone forgot I was pregnant...
My contractions were 5-7 minutes apart by the time we got to the hospital. It was quickly determined that I would have a baby that day. They admitted me, hooked me up to all the machines and shot me up with happy juice.
In less than 9 hours, my little miracle would be here...


No comments:
Post a Comment