Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Bye Bye Bappy

Well, I'm going to call it a victory.  Gavin is asleep for the second night without his beloved "Bappy".  It's bittersweet, really.  Just another sign that my Baby is growing up!

He hasn't had his bappy at nap time at school in over two weeks (since moving into the Toddler room.)  But at home, it was still very much a necessity at bedtime/naptime.  So much so that he asks for it.  When you would say "It's time to go night night."  He would run into the kitchen and point to the counter where I keep the bappys and say, "Bappy, pwease."  I haven't felt like fighting it.  He doesn't get it at home at any other times so if he asks for it at night night time, I'd give it to him.

But last night, he didn't ask for it.  So I didn't give it to him.  I thought, "He'll remember in a few minutes and cry for it..."  But he didn't.  He did wake up about midnight and call for it.  But that's normal.  If he wakes up in the middle of the night and can't find it, he'll cry for it.  But he's not completely awake.  So I knew last night it was just habit.  I tucked him in and patted him for a minute and he drifted back off to sleep.

So tonight, I put him down without his bappy.  He started crying about 10 minutes later.  I snuggled with him in the rocking chair and sang to him for a few minutes.  Then I asked him if he was ready to go to bed like a big boy.  He stuck his little lip out in the biggest pout I've ever seen but he nodded his head.  So I tucked him back in and he gave just a little whimper.  I kissed him and walked out.

That was an hour ago...

I think we've done it...

No comments:

Post a Comment