I'm sure you're thinking huh??????!
Gavin's name is a derivative of the Welsh name Gawain which means "white hawk of battle". I knew that when I picked it. 90% of my ancestors are of Welsh/Scottish/Irish decent. It made since to pick a name from that region. The meaning of the name portrays strength and Gawain was one of Sir Arthur's Knights of the Round Table. Throw in the fact that there is a really popular rock star with the name Gavin and you have a pretty rad name.
Lynn is a family name....Jason's middle name and his Dad's middle name....so it was pretty much a given that we would use it. I had never given much thought to what it meant. I remember looking it up one time and finding somewhere that said it was an English word that meant "waterfall".
But I was researching it a bit more because I was doing a page in Gavin's baby book about what his name means. Upon further research, I discovered that while "Lynn" is English it came from a Welsh word llyn which has roots in both Gaelic and Celtic and literally means "dwells by the waterfall".
So Gavin Lynn means "White Hawk of battle that dwells by the waterfall."
And I think that's cool. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment